Monday, February 11, 2008

To catch a recruitnik

As if we haven't had our fill of MSM articles about college football recruiting, and the media couldn't stoop any lower, the Freep comes through, and lowers the bar. The headline says it all...

2009's TERRELLE PRYOR?: Dual-threat QB Russell Shepard has U-M at the top of his list

You've got to be kidding me. Signing day was less than a week ago, hyped to no end, and here we have an fawning article about a possible 2009 recruit? Worse, it compares him to a 2008 recruit that hasn't yet committed? Just kill me right fucking now.

Shepard, a lifelong University of Texas fan, visited the Longhorns over the weekend. But even though he got a scholarship offer from his favorite team, he told the Austin American-Statesman that he may have a different favorite than many would think.

“I would say Texas is still up there, but Michigan is really at the top of my list, especially if they don’t get Terrelle Pryor,” he told the paper. “I feel like I could go there and play right away. I’m also looking at Florida and LSU. Both of those schools have pretty good depth-chart situations for me.”

The kid hasn't even played his senior season, and he's getting major ink from the MSM. They should be ashamed. Then again, has the MSM ever shown any shame? They would rather pander to the recruiting zealots, who eat this shit up to no end, and have major issues of their own.

If this odd fascination with high school kids keeps up, we'll see an episode of "Dateline: To Catch a Predator" focus on the delusional yahoos who actually spend time and money paying close attention the outright bullshit slung by the likes of Rivals and Scouts, Inc.

Tell me your 40 time. Oooo, that's sooooo cool! How much can you bench press? How many reps? Oh my. I'm really hot to hear more! Can we meet? I'll tell you all about my school. It'll be soooo much fun!

Next thing you know, these recruitniks will be asked to sit down and chat. A certain Mr. Hansen would LOVE to talk with you...

Are you here for Russell? Let's sit down and chat...

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say these recruiting fanatics are one small step removed from meeting Chris Hansen face to face. All that's missing is their knocking on a recruit's door with college catalogs in one hand, and a six pack in the other.

We're headed into stalking territory with these young football players. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, it's CREEPY to be so captivated by the recruiting of high school kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment