Friday, October 12, 2007

The MLB playoffs have been fine. But the BS going on between innings is something else altogether....

Commercials bother me. Commercials bastardizing the music of my youth bothers me even more. The latest example being the Honda commercial that has been run often during the MLB playoffs, using one of The Who's best, if not the best, songs, "I Can See for Miles."

The kids were once alright. The two left are now just rich old capitalists.

That Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey are making big bucks licensing their songs to anyone who gives them a briefcase full of 50's and 100's doesn't bother me all that much, as it's their music to do what they wish. It's how the songs are being used totally out of context that gets me.

Does Honda, or their advertising agency, actually know the lyrics to "I Can See for Miles?" Here's a sample of the lyrics...

Well, here's a poke at you
You're gonna choke on it too
You're gonna lose that smile
Because all the while
I can see for miles and miles

Not exactly the uplifting tune about a grand future that Honda makes it out to be, is it? But the chorus, taken out of context, works for them, the rest of the iconic song be damned.

Unfortunately, as the population ages, the music we loved as youthful rebels is now nothing more than the soundtrack to crappy advertising. That's depressing as all Hell...

It's not just The Who. Ted Nugent, whom I worshiped back in high school, does reality shows. The Clash, the ultimate in politically charged bands, sold Jaguars. Led Zeppelin pimped Cadillacs to those who once thought of them as the ultimate rock Gods. The Rolling Stones once partnered with, of all corporations, Microsoft. The subversive Devo was emasculated and Disney-ized into a kiddie group called Devo 2.0. The Beatles were used to sell Nikes, for Christ's sake.

Now I'm REALLY depressed...

Not helping me with my pissy mood is something they are doing that I sincerely hope will backfire on TBS. It is just driving me to total distraction during the MLB playoffs. It's not the misuse of iconic tunes. It's Frank TV.

I say, "Fuck Frank."

Jesus Christ, TBS is running the Frank TV ads during every break in play! Viewers have been continually pummeled over the head with the Frank TV promos for what feels like decades. It's gotten to the point that whenever Frank Caliendo pops up on the screen, it doesn't being laughs, or even a smile. It brings...RAGE!

This is the face I make every time this tool turns up on my TV between innings...

ENOUGH! I'm begging you suits at TBS, just stop the madness. Please. Stop. It. No mas, no mas...

I'm to the point where I'm going to refuse to tune into Caliendo's show, just out of pure spite. Repetition does not make the heart grow fonder, it just pisses us off. The promo people at TBS haven't figured that one out, it seems...

1 comment:

  1. You know the best part about round 2 of the MLB playoffs??

    NO YANKEES!!!!!

    WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete