Thursday, September 27, 2007

You can't miss what you don't have...

It's a sad state of affairs for the Big 10 when most fans have accepted the fact that we won't be getting the Big !0 Network on our cable systems anytime soon. We've bitched both to the conference, and the cable cartel, till we're (maize and) blue in the face, and it hasn't made one single solitary bit of difference. It's not as either entity is going to go broke, so is there really any reason for compromise?

I've heard of this network, but don't know a soul that gets it. Does it actually exist?

As the football season is now 1/4 over, you'd have to think that it's a dead solid lock that we cable customers won't have the Big 10 Network available anytime this season. I'm not optimistic that we'll be seeing the Big 10 basketball season either. If an agreement couldn't be reached during football season, why should we expect anything different for hoops?

For those of you who say, "Get a dish," I'll say, "I wish I could!" Most cable subscribers don't have the option. It's either due to living in an apartment or condo, not having the extra cash to buy the equipment to up with one of the satellite companies, don't want to be tied into a long-term contract, even if the satellite companies do subsidize my box, or are tied into an TV/internet cable package. Trust me, ala carte internet sure as Hell ain't cheap.

I should know, as I was a very happy DirecTv subscriber for close to a decade. Great picture, tons of channels, rain fade was a total non-issue, never had any customer service issues. In fact, I'd recommend DirecTv to anyone. But as I no long have a house due to my physical limitations, I had no choice but to go back to cable. As cable is an government authorized monopoly, I only have one option for my TV, Charter Communications. I've had more outages in my several months with Charter, than I had in a decade with DirecTv. But I digress...

The Big 10 said the reason they started their own network (Other than it hopefully being a cash cow) was to make sure the fans got to see all the schools on a regular basis. Yet, for the first time I can remember, I haven't been able to watch every Michigan Wolverine game.

At this point, I'm ready to move on, and no longer worry about getting the Big 10 Network. It's not worth the grief anymore. Righteous anger will only take you so far, as that anger then turns to apathy.

If the Michigan game is broadcast on a network my cable package carries, that'll be just peachy! If it isn't? Screw it, I'll watch the SEC game on CBS, or whatever game ESPN/ABC has deigned to broadcast.

The Hell with it! Screw the Big 10, and the cable monopolies. I'm fed up. I don't care anymore. I'm not going out of my way to find the Big 10 Network. I'm no longer going to bother calling my cable company, as all that has done is try my patience. Getting the Big 10 Network is just not worth the time and trouble.

I'm sure that's not what Jim Delany and the Big 10 schools want to hear, but that's how I feel. I'm positive more and more Big 10 fans are feeling the exact same way...

No comments:

Post a Comment