Monday, June 11, 2007

The Pistons have to be dying inside

If not dying inside, at the very least, the Pistons are continually kicking themselves. After every NBA Finals game, they are slapping themselves on the forehead, and letting loose with a Homer Simpson-esque, "D'oh!"

We also know exactly what they have to be thinking.

"How in the Hell did we lose to the Cleveland Cavaliers?"

You want to know why I've barely watched any of the NBA Finals? Every time I tune in, the Cavs are down 20 points. I stopped by the worldwide leader on ABC a few times in game 1, and the Cavs were getting their asses kicked from end of the court to the other.

I didn't tune in last night till after "The Sopranos" ended, and I wasn't surprised by what I saw. The Cavs were down 25 points, getting their asses kicked from end of the court to the other. Once I saw that nothing had changed, like the rest of America, I moved on.

Speaking of "The Sopranos," allow me a quick mid blog post hijack...

Since everyone is talking about what happened on HBO last night... Don't worry, no major spoilers to follow, but if you haven't seen it yet, just to be safe, move past the italicized print.

Yes, I've watched "The Sopranos" since the beginning, it's the best TV show I've ever seen. No, I wasn't disappointed by the ending.

Did you really expect a pat, network TV, kind of series finale from a show that defied every network TV convention? I'm guessing David Chase was saying that real life doesn't stop, life goes on, so why shouldn't Tony Soprano's "Life" be the same way? But God damn, Chase had me on the edge of my seat during the final scene.

Would it have been nice to have some sort of "Sopranos" closure? Sure, but I never understood the need for every show that ends after a long run to have some sort of over the top series finale. More often than not, the send off doesn't live up to the hype, or for that matter, the spirit and tone of the show.

"The Sopranos" went out true to itself. I can live with that...

I have to mention one more thing. As to what happened to Phil Leotardo, well, I haven't seen (Or more honestly, heard) something so cringe-worthy since the curb stomping in "American History X."


Blog post hijack over...

From what little I have seen through 2 games, I'm convinced of one thing. The Detroit Pistons would have been a much tougher matchup for the Spurs, and the NBA Finals likely would have been a vastly more entertaining series.

Would the Pistons have beat the Spurs? I don't think so. But they would have taken the Spurs to 6 , probably 7, games, and made them work hard for their wins. Without question, Detroit would not have been out of the game halfway through the 1st half, let alone get blown out of the arena, unlike the Cavs.

To this point, the finals have been nothing more than glorified exhibitions. I doubt things will change all that much when the series moves to Cleveland.

Every member of the Pistons organization has to be lamenting what they let slip through their fingers. If I still can't wrap my head around the fact that a one man team is the eastern conference champs, I can only guess what they are feeling.

To the Spurs credit, they are not going to lose to a one man team. Which makes the Pistons sitting at home, while the Cavs play on, all the more baffling.

No comments:

Post a Comment