Wednesday, January 18, 2006

All that's left is to sign on the line that is dotted

20 minutes after my last post, the news hit the web and 10 minutes after that, radio and Sportscenter.


Marinelli never left town after his 2nd interview, was offered the Lions gig, and a presser is expected within 24 hours.



My opinion? Meh. I'd like to see who the coorodinators and position coaches are before I think about getting even lukewarm over this hire. What's my biggest concern? Why has Marinelli has been in the league over 20 years and never got within sniffing distance of a head coaching gig before now? Maybe the Lions see something other teams haven't? Yeah, right. I'm sure you've heard the old saying, even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut. Unfortunately, the Lions are the blind squirrel exception to the rule. They've never found a nut...

As I life-long Lions slappy, the Marinelli hire brings up another platitude that all Lions masochists fans believe and hold dear.

Hope for the best and expect the worst.

One good thing about this is that Millen will finally have to face questioning from the press in a public forum. He's been hiding in the weeds for 2 months. I'll give even odds that the Marinelli news confrence gets as ugly as the Tiger presser announcing Phil Garner as manager back in 2000. That inqusition went down in history thanks to the late Detroit News columnist Joe Falls laying waste to Mike Illich. Good times...

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. I'm not excited, but I'm not disgusted and that's something at least. Kudos (sort of) to Millen for not hiring one of his friends.

    ReplyDelete